Aalborg University has established a new common procedure for submission, archiving, printing and publication of PhD theses. This page contains information about the new procedure, formatting guidelines and the coice of front page.
Procedure for submitting of PhD thesis
In order to secure maximum exposure of PhD theses filed at Aalborg University and to establish a common procedure for submission, archiving, printing and publication of PhD theses, a submission and publication system – common for the four faculties – has been established. In collaboration with the VBN Editorial Office and Aalborg University Press, Aalborg University’s PhD Schools have worked together on this task and are now ready to launch the new model. The new model involves that all future PhD theses must be handed in digitally through filing and uploading of documents in VBN.
Registration in VBN marks the official handing-in of the thesis and initiates the process of printing, archiving and e-publication of the thesis.
In connection with submitting the thesis, PhD students must:
- Format your thesis according to the formatting guidelines.
- Register your thesis in VBN at: www.vbn.aau.dk/admin
- Send an e-mail to Aalborg University Press, regarding choice of front page (see the below paragraph) and confirmation of number of printed copies (if not otherwise specified, the AAU Press will print 6 copies to the reviewing committee, as well as 20 copies prior to the defence).
Choice of front page
PhD students at the Faculties of Social Sciences and Humanities have 5 choices of colour for the front page, applicable for both faculties. Visit the VBN Editorial Office website to see the 5 chioces
On the submission of the thesis, you have to choose a colour and a design, either with or without photograph. If you choose a design with photograph, it is possible to use a photograph made for each colour by Jan Brødslev Olsen (are in the making) or your own photograph. The information of your choice of front page shall be emailed to Aalborg University Press, AAUF@forlag.aau.dk, including your own photograph (if that is your choice).
Once the thesis has been submitted in VBN, the following procedure will commence:
- The PhD thesis is officially handed in at Aalborg University
- The Faculty Office (PhD School) is notified automatically, and will initiate the reviewing process.
- The thesis is sent to the Ephorus system that checks for plagiarism
- Once the PhD student has selected the front page, Aalborg University Press initiates printing of six copies that are sent to the reviewing committee via the Faculty Office.
- Prior to defence, the University Press initiates printing of 20 copies that will be ready in due time for the defence.
- When the PhD degree is awarded, the VBN Editorial Office will make the thesis ready for e-publication in the relevant AAU PhD Series (each faculty has its own PhD Series)
- Subsequently, the department is billed based on the price example below
For further information, visit the VBN Editorial Office website
VBN Editorial Office
Any questions regarding the formalities of PhD filing, please contact the VBN Editorial Office:
The Doctoral School of the Humanities
Any questions regarding procedures and guidelines in connection with submitting your PhD thesis, please contact the Doctoral School of the Humanities:
Format of the thesis
A common procedure has been established for submitting, filing, printing and publishing PhD theses at AAU. The procedure supports the various interested parties involved at the faculties in the best possible way.
By following the link below, you can read more about the format requirements for PhD theses and download a template for typing in theses.